The Art on Burton examines the profound role of art and design on the culture of snowboarding by exhibiting work from artists who have contributed to the design and image of Vermont’s own Burton Snowboards. Snowboarding’s imagery and products have consistently re-enforced its position as a counter-culture lifestyle.
Because of this counter-culture lifestyle, snowboarding companies like Burton have been able to visually push the envelope, inviting artists to collaborate with product design, thus simultaneously supporting the artist by increasing their visibility and positively impacting the experience of the rider. There are few other examples where fine artists’ work reaches the public so directly and prolifically.
This exhibition focuses on artists who have contributed to the design and image of Burton, highlighting significant moments and innovations. It includes original artwork, boards, board graphics, and videos, representing both individual artists and the process of design.
Public Programs & Education in conjunction with this exhibit include:
- Panel discussion by Burton Creative Team and JDK Designers
- “History of Burton and Snowboarding” evening featuring Burton archivist, Todd Kohlman
- Video Class: a local professional video artist instructs youth how to make, edit, and upload their own snowboard or outdoor-inspired video.
- Design Workshop: Taught by Burton’s Creative Manager of Graphics, Dennis Healy. A one-day event teaching the process of designing a board. Students will design their own boards in class and learn about aspects of design and marketing.
- Design Contest: Pick up an outline of a snowboard at Helen Day Art Center or download online and drop off a design for a chance to win a Burton Snowboard. A total of twelve prizes will be awarded during an award ceremony to three different age groups. Prizes include Burton snowboards and gift certificates
Curated by Rachel Moore.
Please visit helenday.com for details.
Public Programs January 20, 2012 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Opening Reception
January 20 – February 24, 2012 Board Design Competition
Three age groups compete for a chance to win prizes - 12 in total.
First place in each category: a Burton Snowboard; Runner-up: a $100 gift certificate for a class at Helen Day Art Center; Second & Third Prizes: $50 and $25 gift certificates to either Burton or Helen Day Art Center. Snowboard templates available January 20th online and in paper form at Helen Day Art Center.
- Ages 5-10
- Ages 11-17
- Ages 18 +
January 26, 2012 6:00 pm Public Talk: A History of Snowboarding and Burton: Todd Kohlman
March 15, 2012 5:00 – 6:00 pm Design Competition Award Ceremony Selected board designs on display. Prizes will be presented over hot chocolate, mulled wine and cookies.
6:00 pm Panel Discussion: The Image of Snowboarding: Burton Creative Team and JDK Designers
April 15, 2012 Exhibition Closes
Fridays, February 3 – March 16 (no class 3/2), 2:45-4:45 pm Snowboard Video Production with James Tomlinson Teens & Young Adults Shoot and edit your own snowboard video! The first three classes will be held at Stowe Mountain learning to shoot your own video of snowboarding. You will then learn how to edit your video at HDAC.
February 18, 2012 9:30 am -12:30 pm Design Workshop with Burton’s Creative Manager of Graphics, Dennis Healy
Helen Day Art Center 90 Pond Street PO Box 411 Stowe, VT 05672 www.helenday.com 802.253.8358 F: 802.253.2703
...to enhance the human experience through the visual arts
Gallery hours: Wednesday - Sunday, 12:00 - 5:00 pm